Services for Businesses

Services for Businesses

The Lower Thames Crossing will have a wide ranging impact on businesses across South Essex and North Kent and across many different sectors, both during the construction phase and afterwards.

It is important to gain an early understanding of the impact the construction work and the actual operation of the Lower Thames Crossing will have on your business.

In the most extreme circumstances, this could mean seeing your business premises subjected to the disruption caused by a potential Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO). However, even if you do not have to move out of your premises as a result of the construction of the new road, the works may still impact on your business.

A Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) allows a public authority, such as a local authority, to compel a property owner to sell their property.

However, if you receive a CPO, it is important to remember that the public authority must be able to demonstrate that it is necessary to do so for the ‘greater public good’. Depending on the circumstances, this may be open to challenge.

At Palmers Solicitors, we can assist you in challenging a CPO and negotiating compensation with the public authority.

If you operate in the agricultural sector, you may find that tracts of farmland may be vulnerable to Compulsory Purchase Orders. We can assist in challenging these or with negotiations.

Our expertise in this field enables us to advise you in all aspects of commercial property disposal and acquisition.

Our lawyers, specialising in residential and commercial development, will also be able to assist you in acquiring, assembling and disposing of development land and in negotiating and completing relevant local authority and utility agreements.

Should you need to move to new premises, we can advise on negotiating and agreeing a new lease, with terms that suit your business, such as appropriate break clauses.

If you are concerned about the impact of noise and light pollution, whether from the new road itself or from the construction activity, our team can assist in advising on any disputes.

The law separates nuisance into two categories:

  • Private nuisance – this involves issues that affect your premises. For example, noise from neighbouring premises, problems with overgrown trees, trespass onto your land, as well as damage from leaks or smells.
  • Public nuisance –  this class of nuisance affects a wider area – neighbouring premises and the surrounding community.

The impact of the construction and operation of the road could trigger a right to make a claim under either of these categories. Speak to the team at Palmers and we will be happy to explain the options available to you and how we can help you resolve the matter quickly and cost-effectively.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you.

Basildon Office

01268 240000

Office Address

19 Town Square, Basildon
Essex, SS14 1BD

Rayleigh Office

01268 988488

Office Address

105 High Street, Rayleigh,
Essex, SS6 7QA

South Woodham Ferrers Office

01245 322111

Office Address

Prospect House, 1/3 Brickfields Road
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex

Thurrock Office

01375 484444

Office Address

Ascension Chambers, Fleming Road
Chafford Hundred, Grays
Essex, RM16 6HH