Services for Residents

Services for Residents

The Lower Thames Crossing will have a wide ranging effect on people across South Essex and North Kent.

The people who will be most affected are those whose homes lie on the route of the new road and who will receive offers to purchase their homes or Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPOs).

However, you could also be affected if you live close to the route and are likely to be affected by noise and light pollution.

Our services for individuals affected by the construction and operation of the road include:

A Compulsory Purchases Order (CPO) allows a public authority, such as a local authority to require a property owner to sell their property.

However, if you receive a CPO, it is important to remember that the public authority must be able to demonstrate that it is necessary to do so for the ‘greater public good’. Depending on the circumstances, this may be open to challenge.

At Palmers Solicitors, we can assist you in challenging a CPO and negotiating compensation with the public authority.

If you choose to sell your home as a result of the disruption from the Lower Thames Crossing, our Residential Conveyancing team can assist.

Our professional conveyancing staff are here to offer to you practical and clear advice on the legal aspects and the often confusing procedures which need to be negotiated from the point of offer to moving house. Our conveyancers have dedicated support staff who will provide general updates on the progress of your transactions and (sometimes even more importantly) a sympathetic ear when the frustrations of moving house require it!

A combination of professional experience and use of sophisticated systems enables us to offer a speedy and economic conveyancing service.

If you are concerned about the impact of noise and light pollution, whether from the new road itself or from the construction activity, our team can assist in advising on any disputes.

The law separates nuisance into two categories:

  • Private nuisance – this involves issues that affect your personal land and property. For example, noisy neighbours, problems with overgrown trees, trespass onto your land, as well as damage from leaks or smells.
  • Public nuisance – this class of nuisance doesn’t just affect you but also neighbours and other members of your local community. Examples include noise from a local music festival, frequent bonfires or barbecues which lead to smoke drifting over a number of properties, construction work or an obstruction which limits access to both your home and your neighbours’ properties.

The impact of the construction and operation of the road could trigger a right to make a claim under either of these categories. Whatever the nuisance, it is important to understand your rights and the legal redress that is available to you. Speak to the team at Palmers and we will be happy to explain the options available to you and how we can help you resolve the matter quickly and cost-effectively.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you.

Basildon Office

01268 240000

Office Address

19 Town Square, Basildon
Essex, SS14 1BD

Rayleigh Office

01268 988488

Office Address

105 High Street, Rayleigh,
Essex, SS6 7QA

South Woodham Ferrers Office

01245 322111

Office Address

Prospect House, 1/3 Brickfields Road
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex

Thurrock Office

01375 484444

Office Address

Ascension Chambers, Fleming Road
Chafford Hundred, Grays
Essex, RM16 6HH